Annapolis Business Law Attorney
Partner with a Knowledgeable Business Lawyer in the Annapolis, MD Area
Businesses of all types and sizes have a wide variety of legal needs and often require advice from an experienced business lawyer. At The Law Offices of John Umholtz, you can get reliable legal counsel and services to help protect and position your business for success. We assist companies throughout the Annapolis and Baltimore areas.
Business law services we provide include:
- Business Formation – There are several legal considerations to make when forming a business. Deciding how to structure your business is extremely important. A business formation lawyer can help you choose between a partnership, LLC, or corporation based on your needs and goals. We can also assist you with preparing and filing paperwork to make your company a legal entity.
- Contracts – Businesses use contracts to protect themselves and ensure that their needs are met when they partner with other parties. Common business contracts include partnership agreements, operating agreements, purchase and sale agreements, employment contracts, non-disclosure and non-compete agreements, and more.
Partner with an experienced and knowledgeable business attorney who can assess your company’s unique needs and help you accomplish your objectives. From registering your business to reviewing existing or proposed contracts, Attorney John Umholtz is prepared to help you handle all your business law matters.
Schedule a free consultation online to get started.
There is a range of business types a person can register for, depending on their business needs, interests, and size. One common example is the formation of an LLC or a limited liability company.
The steps for forming an LLC are:
- Choosing a name – Maryland law requires that the name contains “LLC,” “limited liability company,” or any other form of abbreviation (e.g., “L.C.”)
- Appointing a registered agent – The resident agent is responsible for accepting legal papers on behalf of the LLC and must be a state resident
- Filing Articles of Organization – The articles should include the name of the LLC, the LLC’s purpose, the LLC’s Maryland address, and the registered agent’s name, signature, and address (note that there is a basic filing fee of $100)
- Preparing an operating agreement – This internal document establishes how the LLC will be run, including the rights and responsibilities of each member and manager
- Complying with tax and regulatory requirements – The necessity of certain requirements will depend on the LLC, but they may include obtaining an IRS Employer Identification Number, obtaining specific business licenses, and registering with the Comptroller of Maryland
- Filing annual reports – An Annual Report and Personal Tax Return must be filed with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation Personal Property Division every year, with an annual filing fee of at least $300
An experienced lawyer can provide more specific guidance about what to include in the paperwork, as well as the steps for registering other types of businesses like partnerships and corporations.
Drafting Business Contracts
As mentioned above, we help clients draft a variety of business contracts, including:
- Partnership agreement – a legal document dictating the way a business will be run and the specific relationship between each partner
- Operating agreement – a legal document especially important for LLCs that establishes the business’ financial and functional decisions with specific rules, regulations, and provisions
- Purchase and sale agreement – a legally binding contract that states how a partner’s share of the business may be reassigned if that partner leaves the business or dies
- Employment contract – a legally binding agreement between an employer and an employee that defines their employment relationship (e.g., salary, termination, etc.)
- Non-disclosure agreement – a legal contract that requires the signing parties not to disclose confidential information shared between them as a necessary part of doing business together
- Non-compete agreement – a legal contract in which an employee agrees not to compete with their employer after their employment period has concluded
If you need a customized contract that ensures your company’s best interests are protected, our business contract lawyer at The Law Offices of John Umholtz can help you. We draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of business contracts for companies in the local area, and we can also make sure your existing or proposed contracts adequately support your business interests.
Contact The Law Offices of John Umholtz today to get started in a free initial consultation.
Business law is complex, and you want to ensure your company is positioned for success. That’s why you should work with a qualified business lawyer like Attorney John Umholtz. We will take a personalized approach to understand your business interests and build a strategy based on those goals. Whether you seek legal support in legally forming a business in Annapolis or drafting a partnership agreement, Attorney Umholtz is here to provide the experienced, knowledgeable guidance you need.
I have used attorneys in the past, and John is superior!!
“John Umholtz is the best lawyer I have ever used and met. He listens to your case very well before he gives any advice. He’s extremely intelligent, thorough, and honest. His fees are more than reasonable. I highly recommend John for ANY legal needs whatsoever. I have used attorneys in the past, and John is superior!!”
We would not hesitate to use his services.
“John is a competent attorney with a creative, intelligent legal mind. We would not hesitate to use his services.”